GAP Ski Instructor Course Launches As Industry Ponders Future EU Workers Rights

Snoworks GAP has launched its 2017 GAP ski course in Tignes that offers the chance for students to gain a BASI (British Association of Snowsports Instructors) Level Two ski instructor qualification before the winter season starts – but the opportunity to forge a career in snowsports instruction is a compelling one, even following Britain’s exit from the EU.

The eight week residential Snoworks GAP course, based in the French ski resort of Tignes, commences on October 21, 2017 and finishes December 16, 2017 – before Christmas and in time for students to start placements with ski schools in the Alps or further afield.

The qualification is valid for ski schools in countries such as Austria, Switzerland and Japan when employed locally and allows the licence holders to teach beginners and intermediate skiers on marked runs. Students can then choose to continue their studies and become fully qualified instructors with higher rates of pay, more autonomy and access to work in more countries such as France.

Director of Snoworks GAP courses, Lee Townend, explains:

Becoming a ski instructor is now a far more valid career option than in the past and once you’re fully qualified, it’s possible to earn a good salary and even start your own ski school business. The big question mark for everyone right now is Brexit, but this has no effect on our GAP instructors, as most of them choose to work in Switzerland or Japan anyway – then go onto Australia and New Zealand in the off-season where the BASI qualifications are valid. Also, BASI are committed to ensuring the working rights of members in EU countries post Brexit and we are confident that our qualifications will be valid once the ‘pull-out’ has been completed.

Andrew Lockerbie, CEO of BASI also said:

BASI is in discussions with our European counterparts to ensure the recognition of our qualifications within EU countries, once Brexit has been completed. In France for example, instructors with the relevant BASI qualifications have to apply for a Carte Professional, essentially a work permit, and this will remain the same following Britain’s departure from the EU. We are very confident that our qualifications will be recognised across the Alpine nations within the EU and we are also asking the British government to ensure workers rights are secured too.

Many Snoworks GAP students secure work as ski instructors once they gain their BASI qualification. Ania Gordon went through the Snoworks GAP course in 2016 and worked last winter in Japan:

I knew that my gap year would be an ideal time to turn my passion for skiing into a useful and rewarding qualification I could use for the rest of my life. I decided to start looking for work in Japan as I wanted to teach somewhere with an entirely new culture. Snoworks GAP put me in touch with Gondola Snowsports Niseko and they accepted three of us, convinced that the course would prepare us to start teaching the day we arrived.

Details For The Snoworks GAP BASI Level 1 & 2 Course

Dates for the 2017 GAP BASI Level 1 & 2 ski instructor course: October 21, 2017 to December 16, 2017

Price for the 8 week course is £7,750 – course fee includes 8 weeks full training, half-board accommodation in the Mark Warner Aiguille Percee Hotel Tignes (6 weeks) and The Tignes Chalet Company (2 weeks) on a twin share basis, airport transfers, ski passes, BASI exams, first aid course, CRB check and many more additional benefits.

Not included: Flights, insurance, lunch, extra spending money

Company Information

SnoworksGAP is run by Lee Townend, BASI Trainer and ski instructor for Snoworks Ski Courses in Courchevel, France. SnoworksGAP train and qualify ski instructors through the BASI (British Association of Snoworks Instructors) system, with courses running in Tignes, France.

PRESS CONTACT

Robert Stewart
    PR DirectorSki Press

Telephone: +00 44 (0)7543 799338

Email: robert@ski-press.com

Website:

IMAGES

Snoworks GAP Courses

Click image to download

Snoworks GAP FACEBOOK

RSS Category Feed:

RSS icon Subscribe to Ski Lessons category.

0
    Connecting
    Please wait...
    Send a message

Sorry! We aren't around right now. Leave a message and we'll get back to you, asap.

Your name
    * Email
    * Describe your issue
    Login Chat

Thanks for stopping by. Can we help you with anything?

Your name
    * Email
    We're online!
    Feedback

Help us help you better! Feel free to leave us any additional feedback.

How do you rate our support?